|General Health & Safety Rules||Date: 6/20/2007|
|Procedure No HSP-03-9||Revision|
The purpose of general rules is to provide staff with guidance on safe measures and procedures that will reduce the risk of exposure to hazardous conditions and actions.
This procedure applies to all staff and contractors.
Occupational Health & Safety Act
Regulations for Industrial Establishments
Construction Project Regulations
5.1 Workers, Contractors & Subcontractors
All workers, contractors and subcontractors shall adhere to the following rules:
1. Wear and use the required personal protective equipment that includes CSA-approved Grade 1 boots. Where required, additional PPE includes eye protection, face protection, hearing protection, fall protection, respiratory protections, skin protection and other specific types. Keep all PPE in clean, usable condition. Replace PPE as needed.
2. Keep all areas of the workplace clean and free of tripping and slipping hazards. Housekeeping is everyone’s responsibility.
3. Keep all company-owned vehicles and equipment clean and free of accumulated garbage and other items. This is especially important in truck and equipment cabs.
4. All accidents, injuries and incidents must be immediately reported to the supervisor or manager.
5. No employee, contractor or subcontractor is permitted to have in his/her possession, to consume or to be under the influence of alcohol, drugs, narcotics, medication, intoxicants or other controlled substances which could impair their physical or mental ability to safely perform required employment duties.
6. No person is permitted to use, adjust, maintain, repair or otherwise operate any machinery, equipment or device unless it is safe to do so, and the person is authorized and suitably qualified.
7. Only correct tools, equipment and materials are to be used to carry out job tasks. Do not use damaged or defective tools or equipment.
8. Do not defeat or render ineffective any safety device.
9. Smoking is permitted only in designated areas.
10. Ensure work area access/egress, aisles, walkways; fire exits and emergency equipment are unobstructed and readily available.
11. Horseplay, feats of strength or other dangerous activities are prohibited.
12. Follow correct procedures for lifting heavy or awkward objects and materials. Always use proper body mechanics when lifting, pushing, pulling, moving, stacking or carrying any object. Get help when needed.
13. Familiarize yourself with and be aware of the location of fire and emergency equipment and procedures.
14. Only authorized employees are permitted to operate equipment.
15. Promptly report any unsafe conditions, unsafe acts or other hazards to your supervisor.
16. Tools, equipment, machinery and other objects must be properly secured during transportation and storage. Ensure all loads on mobile equipment are secure.
17. Always observe safe limits of approach when working near overhead power lines.
18. Always observe utility locates when excavating.
5.2 Supervisors & Managers
Supervisors and managers are responsible for ensuring that workers, contractors and subcontractors are aware of, and follow the general safety rules.